Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Collide by Gail McHugh - 5 stars

After her mother passes away, Emily moves to New York to be closer to her boyfriend Dillon.  She loves Dillon, the amazing man that helped her through the death of her mother and her stalwart companion.  Emily moves in with her best friend from college and finds a job at a local restaurant.  On her first day at work, her boss asks if she can drop off a delivery order on her way home since their delivery boy quit.  She makes the delivery to none other than Gavin Blake – the deliciously striking, marketing mogul.  He immediately is drawn to Emily and pursues her.  Although Emily finds him attractive (IMMENSELY attractive) she is in love with Dillon and isn’t the cheating type.  When Gavin shows up at her work the next day and asks for her name she says “Molly” and then throws way the business card he gives her thinking that would get rid of him.  Later that night they meet again when they discover Gavin is one of Dillon’s best friends….EEK!  But no…this doesn’t stop Gavin from pursuing Emily…at least as a friend.  He is drawn to her like a moth to a flame.  Through time, Emily comes to befriend Gavin.  She also can’t stay away – resistance is futile when it comes to Gavin.  He is so much more than she thought he was - kind, loving, funny, charming and of course dangerously sexy.  When their worlds collide – will anyone be left standing?

This book had me laughing hysterically (very difficult to hold in when your husband is asleep next to you!!), crying, frustrated and just plain angry.  The characters are so entertaining and so vivid…I simply adored this book.  I loved Gavin’s cocky, mischievous, witty and sarcastic comments – I definitely am adding him to my mental list of “book boyfriends.”  Emily was so frustrating because she had no sense …at all.  It was so obvious she should be with Gavin.  How could she not see it after how horrible Dillon is?  She is so closed off to her own emotion like she is trying to prevent someone she cares about from leaving her again.  She doesn’t want to lose the last link to her mother and I understand that but at the same time- would her mother have wanted her in the position she is in?  No way!  I don’t want to give too much away but you MUST read this book. 

I only had two complaints about this book.
1.       I didn’t like the point of view it was told from - this is just a personal preference.  I would have preferred the story have been told as first person POV for each Emily and Gavin.  However it was told in a third person/omniscient POV.  I like it when characters are saying “I felt…” as opposed to “She felt…” – I found it distracting since I like to read like I’m in the action not a bystander.

2.       The ending was brutal….MAJOR CLIFFHANGER!   I am not sure if I can wait until the second book comes out this summer!  Well played Gail McHugh, well played. 
 
 

 
 
#GailMcHugh
#GavinBlake
#Collide
 
 
My Scale:

5 stars – made me feel what they felt, was obsessed to the point where I couldn't concentrate at work because I wanted to read. I wanted to read every free minute possible –even if it was a few minutes in the Burger King drive-thru or the couple minutes I’m waiting for the toaster.

4 stars – I felt what they felt, was moderately distracted at work and read when I could. Thought about the characters but there wasn't an impulse to read with each beat of my heart.

3 stars – great story, able to feel their emotions but wasn't distracted at work. I read when I could but not necessarily every night before I go to bed like normal.

2 stars – interesting story, but not pulled in. Finished the book because I want to know what happened at the end.

1 star – didn’t even finish the book


No comments:

Post a Comment